Managing Partner in charge of the Litigation Division
Banking & Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, Competition Law, Family Law, Environmental Law, and Employment Law & Industrial Action
Chacha H. Odera is an Advocate of the High Court and a Managing Partner in the Litigation Division at Oraro & Company Advocates. Over the course of his 25 year career, he has specialized in the areas of Banking Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Competition Law, Employment Law & Industrial Action as well as Arbitration & Appellate practice.
He has, and continues to, successfully undertake litigation in the areas of Security Realization, Insolvency Of Companies, Tracing of assets, Negotiating the re-scheduling of debts, Drafting re-scheduling instruments, Industrial Disputes as well as Employment, Pension and Construction Arbitration.
In addition to the above mentioned, Mr. Odera has considerable experience in working with Non-Governmental Organizations. He has participated in their registration and the preparation of constitutions for various international NGOs. He has also provided those organizations with advice concerning immunity, labor laws and employee relations, tax law, contract law and has prepared numerous service level agreements.
Membership in Professional Societies
Law Society of Kenya East African Law Society Member, Political Parties Tribunal Commonwealth Lawyers Association Retired Member, Council of Legal Education Chaired Law Societies' Council on In-House Counsel
1987: LLB (Hons.) University of Nairobi 1988: Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya 1989: – To date: Oraro & Company Advocates
• Led Legal team in restructuring of Delphis Bank Ltd (in statutory management) which led to the reopening of the Bank and its change of name to Oriental Commercial Bank.
• Advised Bullion Bank Limited and Southern Credit Banking Corporation in their merger.
• Advised various pension and provident funds in respect of formation, conversion and matters relating to pensions and compliance.
• Acted as lead legal advisor to the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT), which is the oldest established umbrella union of teachers, in various matters including defending the Union in litigation relating to industrial action and amendments to the law affecting the teaching fraternity.
• Led the Firm’s advisory team that advised the Kenya National Union of Teachers, one of Kenya’s major labour unions, on the proposed amendments to an Act that governs said union.
• Successfully represented three judges in the Judges and Magistrates Vetting Board established under Section 23 of Schedule VI of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
• Represented the Secretary General of the United Nations in various proceedings filed at the United Nations Dispute Tribunal.
• Served as a member of the Select Committee appointed under the provisions of the Kenya Law Reform Commission Act, which nominated the Chair and members of the said Kenya Law Reform Commission.
• Successfully defended an election petition relating to a senatorial election in which the court restated the law by clearly defining the circumstances under which a senatorial election can be nullified.
• Litigated in precedent setting cases before the Industrial Court of Kenya.
• Litigated extensively in building construction arbitrations.
• Participated in negotiating and drafting various joint venture agreements.
• Participated in negotiations in restructuring debt and drafted various debt restructuring instruments.
• Participated in major environment litigation before the National Environment Tribunal.
• Acted as an arbitrator in various matters referred by the High Court of Kenya.
• Serves as an adjunct lecturer at Strathmore University Law School.
• Acts as lead legal advisor to the World Agro forestry Centre, a major international non-governmental organisation operating from Nairobi, Kenya.
• Advising various international non-governmental organizations on varied legal issues including labour issues and issues touching on legal status and recognition;
• The review of loan, grant and supply agreements on behalf of international non-governmental organizations and the Government of Kenya;
• Drafting of various service level agreements for international non-governmental organizations in the process of out-sourcing their non-core business.